Grid and Electric Utilities Experience
Utility Client and Direct Employer List
- Midwest ISO (MISO)
- FPL (Florida Power & Light Company)
- PPL (PPL Service Corporation)
- Dominion Virginia Power
- Duke Energy
Kathleen started her career as an intern in the Distribution Engineering department of ComEd (an Exelon company) and after college took a job with the company in Distribution Reliability and Power Quality. The department transitioned into reliability data analytics and business performance metrics where she investigated reliability concerns in the field and performed data analytics on outages to better improve reliability. She then decided to take a promotion to the Transmission and Substations organization where she supported the Control Room operations and software to manage the transmission IT, real-time power system studies, and database models on call 24/7. Another 5 years later, she joined Midwest ISO (MISO) supporting the generation, transmission, and SCADA IT systems for most of the Midwest. After 4 years with MISO she then became a consultant for The Structure Group (now Accenture) and Alstom Grid (UISOL) supporting clients all over the United States with their EMS needs including custom software development, integrations, and testing. She enjoyed her experiences traveling, working hands-on with her client’s engineering staff, and showing them exciting new improvements on old ways of doing business.
Expertise and Capabilities
- Database and data modeling, analytics, SQL, design, architecture, and implementation
- Custom Software Solutions (.Net, C#, VB, etc. Client or Server Applications)
- Testing – Manual, Automated, Factory Acceptance (FAT), Integration, and Production Performance
- Design and Planning – Business Analysis, Technical Requirements, Diagrams, Documentation
- Training and Presentation – Custom labs, user centric documentation, and clear delivery
- Cross Platform – Windows, Linux, Windows Server
- Generation Management Systems (GMS)
- Transmission Management Systems (TMS)
- Distribution Management Systems (DMS)
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
I have highlighted only a few interesting projects and topics on this page from my 15+ years work experience. Check out my Resume for more examples. Also, if we are in a job discussion I will send you a custom cover letter explaining how my work experience, skills, and knowledge relate to your posting.
My site contains a diversity of academia projects from my masters and undergraduate studies in power systems and power market operations. To see a listing of the blog articles, demos, and project code click on the site category for Power Systems here.